Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sydney: Claude's!!


My 48 hours in Sydney started at this restaurant, Claude's. Stylish, unique, modern and special. It has a very subtle door. You have to ring the door bell, and a waiter will come out expecting you. It's great! I felt right at home! I'm not a writer, so I'm not going to weave a sexy story in your head and try to describe the room and atmosphere. hehe... but I would like to say that the walls were beige when I was there, but have now been informed they have repainted the room to a dark colour. Check it out on their website. They have an upstairs area which are full of antique awesome crockery, plus they have a pastry kitchen in which I would love to work in that space!! It looks like heaven to me hahha.

Claude's offers an A la carte menu and also a tasting menu. On this night, my friend and I had the 8 course degustation on offer..here is what we ate!


Choux pastry filled salmon mousse, potato crisps

These were our canapes to whet our appetites..yum..


Chicken liver parfait, taro cracker, archar pickle

Bare with me, my memory has left, but I remembered this dish to be creamy from the liver parfait marrying well with the rest of the components on the dish. 


Sydney Rock oysters, pickled rose, raw button mushroom, oyster cream, pig ear chips

I remembered this to be my favourite. One, because I love oysters and I especially love the crispy texture of the pig's ears and the oyster cream. YUM YUM YUM!!!!


Fennel pollen with hot & fragrant broth

This dish was quite tasty, like the rest of the dishes on the menu. My friend Hien loved it!..I think it was his favourite. The broth was just so flavoursome!


Albacore tuna, bay of fires clams, snake beans

The tuna was delicious!! There was also thinly sliced courgette (Zucchini) and the sauce was AMAZING!!! It was a spiced chicken base stock like the soto ayam (Indonesian chicken soup).


Root vegetable, Cubeb pepper and vanilla

There was carrot, beetroot, Jerusalem artichoke puree, pickled purple potato, seasoned with cubeb pepper, vanilla, nori and Southern Highlands truffle. It was good a good dish to separate the fish course and the meat course. The vegetables were very tasty!!


Aylesbury Duck and Abalone in a herbal concoction

This dish consisted the following contents: Duck breast, braised thigh, abalone, eggplant custard, Thai long green eggplant, grilled scallions, oyster mushroom, sweet leaf. The sauce is a herbal concoction inspired by the malaysian ''bar kar tay''.


Caramel parfait, young coconut & ashen puffed rice

In addition to the description, there is also yoghurt jelly, coconut water & ginger granita, and young coconut ash on the plate. It was lovely!! Ben the sous chef is my muse and inspired me to use the Ashen puff rice on my menu too. It tastes GREAT!!!


Bitter orange souffle, chocolate and cointreau cream

I usually don't order souffles, but will eat it if it's part of the package. In my mind it's like just egg white and fruit puree. But, this one was light and fluffy! Well balanced in flavour and it was perfect looking!!! The waiter will ask to make a hole in the center of the souffle and he/she will then pour the chocolate cointreau cream into  it. A good way to end the meal.

Thank you to Chef Chui Lee Luk for the great food and creations! Special thanks to Sous chef Ben Sears who looked after Hien and I at Claude's. You are definitely my muse and I will see you in Sydney again before I write my Summer menu. 


Xx

No comments: